Monday, October 22, 2012

THE ROAD SPLITS----WHICH WAY ?

THE ROAD SPLITS
(Which way to go ? )

Doing cop work, working midnight to 8AM, always tired.

A friend, Andy Caverly, born in Scibereen (sp) Ireland.
Told me he had this gorgeous cousin, single, lived in town.
I was mildly interested, I had met a lot of cousins and they
were all the same, don`t ask.

I was invited to a party----thrown by Andy and his friends.

She was there and I was there and then I found out that
was the reason for the party,  to make us miserable like
they were.

It was not like that,  I just liked to poke fun at marriage.

So, we went on a date--- it did`nt work well at all.
Actually she stood me up.    'Guess it was not that bad, I had
been led to expect that of women.

Then Andy fixed it so I would meet her again.   We acted
friendly toward each other `cuz we did`nt want to seem
unapreciative toward out frinds.  Then I discovered the
real Mary Ellen Zudis.   She was really a nice person.

After about six weeks we decided to get married.  A long
long trail my friend---- Something like 60 years later and
we are still on the same road , the one that we chose way
back then. 

First I had to talk to the priest where she went to Mass,
then that priest had to talk to my priest, then they contacted
her parish priest in St. Charles , Illinois where she grew up.
All the priests talked to the parents and the other priests and
they all decided that we were not that bad.

I had a 1949 Oldsmobile convertible.... Damn, I loved that
car---- so did she.  She went home to make arrangements for
us to get married and I had the Olds lubed and the oil changed.
George Rasmussen worked my shift and my beat to take my
place while I was gone and I went.

Do you know ?  The roads back there follow the section lines.
You go down the road for a mile and it makes a sharp turn to
the left, another mile and it makes a sharp turn to the right.
That Olds barely go moving before we had to turn.

Oh, I forgot to mention.  When we decided to get married we
bought an old vacation house,  (a shack) up in the Montclair
section of Oakland, California.   Then we bought a king size
bed.   I worked with Off. Stan Baker, he agreed to fix up the
shack so we would have a place to sleep when we got back.

This is getting boring--- so, I will save you a little pain and
continue this later.   You can pretend you read it--that`s all
right.

-----  John Crowley

No comments:

Post a Comment