Tuesday, October 2, 2012

HIGH SCHOOL PAST, SUMMER IS OVER
The mail just came.

A letter from Msgr. James Brady, of Notre Dame
Academy, Mitchell , South Dakota.

Dear Mr. Crowley
We are in receipt of your application
to Notre Dame Academy.

You have been accepted for the coming
term in Teachers  College.

You will be charged nothing until you
have completed college and are gainfully
employed.
I will obtain a restaurant job for you on
your arrival in Mitchell.

Sincerely ,
Monsignor James M. Brady

When I had nearly given up finding a school,
like mana from heaven.

I contacted my brother, Neal who agreed to
drive me and one other applicant, Ben
Lesselyoung to Mitchell in time for the first
day of school.

Lots of excitement going on, but the die had
been cast.

Some one hundred and eighty miles later, Neal
dropped us off at the Monsignor`s home on
campus and we were welcomed , given addresses
of potential employers and the address of a
rooming house on South Lawler street.

I hope this is not as boring to you as it is to me.
Reciting a list of past events is not my idea of
an intresting story--- but, on with it.

to  be  continued
---- John Crowley

No comments:

Post a Comment