Sunday, October 14, 2012

March 12, 1951 Appointed Police Officer

City of Alameda
Appointed Police officer
March 12, 1951

I was trained by Jack Fink, Mickey
Preminger, Al (Elwood)McCart,
Bill Mills, Bob Carlson , John Hacking,
Pat McDermott,  and many others.

Those who became COPS soon after
me, some on the same list were Noah
(Pat) Garrett, Danny (Gaetano)
Magliocco, Pete Ege.

I attended an academy at Santa Rita,
Alameda County Jail .

Soon after graduation from the Academy
I was used in various ways.   As a new
and unknown I was used to infiltrate
prostitution rings (suspected), abortion
madams, horse betting and illegal
activities in the bars.

After a brief probation I was assigned ,
according to seniority, to eighteen
months of patrol on midnights, that is
midnight until 8:00 A.M.

At that time an officer had to serve as
a sworn officer for five years before
eligible to take the Sgt. exam.

It will be very difficult to remember
the most interesting people or events.
I will refer back to these times when
reminded or when asked about specific
incidents. There were many, People`s
park riots in Berkeley for example.

The last day I worked, Naval Air Station
Police were involved in a high speed
chase.  They only had old pick-up trucks
and asked me to take over the stop.
I pursued the vehicle at speeds of over
100 MPH through Alameda.  My friend
Greg Martin then assumed the chase
and I shut down.
   My last day at work .......as a COP.

----- John Crowley

1 comment:

  1. 11-8-2012 ANNIVERSARY WALTZ by Charlie MANNIX

    "Anniversary Waltz by Charlie Mannix"

    Showing 1 Result


    Anniversary Waltz by Charlie Mannix (Oct 1, 2012)
    $7.99 Paperback
    Order in the next 54 minutes and get it by Friday, Nov 9.
    $1.99 Kindle Edition
    Auto-delivered wirelessly
    (1)
    Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.
    Books: See all items


    Charlie`s book: ANNIVERSARY WALTZ is on sale
    at AMAZON.COM
    Thanks---John Crowley

    ReplyDelete