Tuesday, October 9, 2012

BACK TO MARE ISLAND---- as a patient.

BACK TO MARE ISLAND
---THEN SOUTH DAKOTA
------AATC, PACIFIC BEACH WASHINGTON

Someone,somewhere accused me of changing
my name---- not so---- My name at birth
was Eugean John Crowley, in school it had
been shortened to Gene, then when the Navy
issued i.d. cards , it read: John Eugene Crowley.

I was pleased with my new name so never
bothered to correct the Navy.

BACK TO MARE ISLAND
This was the beginning of a long series of
physician`s examinations and a confusing
series of conflicting diagnoses.   After a certain
time with one diagnosis the Navy had a rule
that the patient had to be "Surveyed", that
is re-examined and possibly re-diagnosed.

First the survey recommended removal
of my apendics.   I refused--- then they
agreed,  error.  Then, they wanted my
gall bladder,  I objected , so they found
some sort of liver disease--- I would`nt
let them take that either.

I had been surveyed the maximum number
of times so the ward medical officer
offered me the following solution.
1--- Go on a 30 day leave, stay drunk
       and then take assignment to a
       cold climate. 
2----Take a medical discharge from the
        Navy.

Since I had never had any input as to my
duty in the service, had no problem with

the Navy, I decided to just take the offer
of getting drunk and let them send me
any damn place they saw fit.

I caught the train in Oakland, got off in
Lemmon , South Dakota, where I had
gone to high school.  

Then I received orders to the U. S. Navy
Receiving Station, Treasure Island , Ca.

At the time I finally was discharge from
the service, I had been through the
Receiving Station at Treasure Island
something like thirteen times.

At Treasure Island I received orders to
the Anti-Aircraft Training Center,
Pacific Beach , Washington.
--- A very cold place---- I was told.

At Chehalis, Washington I left the train
and transferred to a local bus for the
trip to Pacific Beach.   On the bus was
a Pharmacist Mate 3/c by the name of
James David Gist.   I was a 2/c which was
a higher ranking petty officer(satire).

We arrived at AATC to find that it was
more or less under construction and we
were the first hospital staff.   The next
morning Gist was gone.   It seems he
did`nt like the place and went A.W.O.L,
absent without leave.

Beverly Jean McGee was not far behind.
Soon after my arrival along came Bev.
Just thought I would mention that .
We went to the Catholic priest in Aberdeen
Washington and asked him to marry us.
The priest talked to us, was very happy
to meet us and suggested we come back
after the war and he would marry us.

We found her a nice room with a great
family, the Devine`s in Aberdeen.

I discovered that Aberdeen (and Pacific
Beach) were colder than a sled dog`s feet.
It rained when it was not snowing or
sleeting and strangely my tropical fever
was gone.

I find this is beginning (still) rambling ,so
Aberdeen , Hoquiam and Pacific Beach
will be contnued at a later time,  together
with Humptulips, Moclips and Aloha.

----- John Crowley

No comments:

Post a Comment